Dr. Tayyib treats young and older adults. Her dual psychiatric and internal medicine background provides keen insights into the relationships of the mind, body and a person's overall well-being. This background, combined with her cross-cultural perspective and special interest in women's issues, … read more about Dr. Tayyib
Anxiety is a natural response when facing a stressful situation. But when constant & interferes with daily life it is a disorder. Anxiety disorders are treatable. Efficacy and duration of treatment varies.
Since many anxiety patients have more than one anxiety disorder and may suffer from depression, substance abuse, or other co-existing conditions, treatment must is highly individualized.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):- pervasive worry & fear , nervousness & tension.
- Panic disorder:– panic attacks in episodes, fear of another panic attack. Develops abruptly, peaks within 10 mins, lasts for 20-30 mins.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD):– unwanted thoughts / repetitive ritualistic behavior that are impossible to control .
- Phobia:– exaggerated fear of specific object/ activity/situation.
- Post-Traumatic stress Disorder (PTSD):– increased anxiety & emotional arousal, re experiencing traumatic event , avoidance behavior . Develops following a traumatic event
Typical symptoms include:
- Mood – Feeling of apprehension
- Cognitive – Decreased concentration
- Behavioral – Restless, tremors
- Sleep – Sleep problems
- Body – Racing of heart, dizziness
- Weight – Weight change
- Number of cognitive behavior therapies exists that address specific conditions
- Complementary and alternative practices (Stress and Relaxation Therapies, Meditation, Yoga)