Dr. Tayyib treats young and older adults. Her dual psychiatric and internal medicine background provides keen insights into the relationships of the mind, body and a person's overall well-being. This background, combined with her cross-cultural perspective and special interest in women's issues, … read more about Dr. Tayyib
Anxiety is a natural response when facing a stressful situation. But when it is constant & interferes with daily life it is a disorder. Anxiety disorders are treatable. Efficacy and duration of treatment varies.
Since many anxious patients have more than one anxiety disorder and may also suffer from depression, substance abuse, or other co-existing conditions, treatment is highly individualized.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):- pervasive worry & fear , nervousness & tension.
- Panic disorder:– panic attacks in episodes, fear of another panic attack. Develops abruptly, peaks within 10 mins, lasts for 20-30 mins.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD):– unwanted thoughts/ repetitive ritualistic behavior that are impossible to control .
- Phobia:– exaggerated fear of specific object/ activity/ situation.
- Post-Traumatic stress Disorder (PTSD):– increased anxiety & emotional arousal, re experiencing traumatic event, avoidance behavior. Develops following a traumatic event
Typical symptoms of anxiety include:
- Mood – Feeling of apprehension
- Cognitive – Decreased concentration and short term memory.
- Behavioral – Restlessness, tremors, nervousness
- Sleep – Sleep problems
- Body – Racing of heart, dizziness, shortness of breath.
- Number of cognitive behavior therapies exist that address specific conditions
- Complementary and alternative practices (Stress and Relaxation Therapies, Meditation, Yoga)
If you are suffers from anxiety symptoms, don’t wait, contact us to discuss help options.
(return to main page)